The Shelby County Youth Assistance Program is a voluntary program for children and their families, focusing on preventative services. Children will be referred by school counselors, law enforcement, or other agencies to receive prevention services rather than discipline or adjudication. Youth are evaluated and referred for services based on eligibility and need. Inclusive criteria includes Shelby County residency, between ages 3 and 17 at the time of referral, and determination of “at risk” by being:
- at risk of becoming involved in a juvenile proceeding
- at risk of being suspended or expelled from school
- at risk of dropping out of school
- previously children in need of services and who are in need of ongoing supervision and assistance
- have been victims of domestic violence.